2021 Annual Report of the National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians Tabled in Parliament
September 28, 2022
Ottawa, September 18, 2022 — The 2021 Annual Report of the National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians (NSICOP) was tabled in Parliament today.
The 21-page report presents a summary of the Special Report on the Government of Canada’s Framework and Activities to Defend its Systems and Networks from Cyber Attack, a special review completed by the Committee in 2021. It also provides information on the Committee’s work over the past year and an overview of the recommendations made in prior reviews and their status.
The Honourable David McGuinty, Chair of NSICOP, stated that “Over the last year, the Committee continued to fulfill its mandate to increase the accountability and transparency of security and intelligence organizations in Canada. I am confident that this report and the activities it describes will contribute to that objective.”
Mr. McGuinty extends his sincere appreciation to his NSICOP colleagues and to the Secretariat for their dedication to this work and their flexibility in these challenging times.
The classified version of the report was delivered to the Prime Minister on May 18, 2022.
After tabling, the report will be available on the NSICOP website at https://www.nsicop-cpsnr.ca/reports/rp-2022-09-28-ar/intro-en.html.
NSICOP was established under the National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians Act on June 22, 2017. It may review:
- the legislative, regulatory, policy, administrative and financial framework for national security and intelligence;
- any activity carried out by a department that relates to national security or intelligence, unless the activity is an ongoing operation and the appropriate Minister determines that the review would be injurious to national security; and,
- any matter relating to national security or intelligence that a minister of the Crown refers to the Committee.
NSICOP members hold the highest level of security clearance, are bound by the Security of Information Act and meet in private.
Members of the 2021 Committee:
- The Hon. David McGuinty, P.C., M.P., Chair
- Leona Alleslev, M.P.
- Stéphane Bergeron, M.P.
- Don Davies, M.P.
- The Hon. Dennis Dawson, Senator
- Ted Falk, M.P. (resigned June 15, 2021)
- Peter Fragiskatos, M.P.
- Iqra Khalid, M.P.
- The Hon. Frances Lankin, P.C., C.M., Senator
- Rob Morrison, M.P.
- Glen Motz, M.O.M., M.P. (resigned June 15, 2021)
- Jennifer O’Connell, M.P. (resigned March 19, 2021)
- Brenda Shanahan, M.P.
- The Hon. Vernon White, Senator
Secretariat of the National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians